Lightning Bolt Moment

So, I'm at my sister and brother in law's for the weekend. We're running a family race tomorrow. Fun, fun!

I was talking to my bro in law about my writing, the book I'm working on, and the fact that I tend to start something and drop it after a few chapters. I talked to him about the possibilities of self publishing vs trying to get traditionally published, blah, blah, blah.

He said something to me that was so lightning bolt moment to me, yet should have been completely obvious. He said that I needed to write for me. Not focus so much on trying to write something people will want to buy/read so much or on writing something I hope will sell well, yada, yada. I need to write for me.

Um, duh! For some reason this just struck me. I have never thought of it that way before. He is absolutely right. I have no idea where this will take my (non-blog related specifically) writing, but I'm excited to find out.

My writing should be no different from my weight loss, my workouts, or my choice to eat healthy. I should do it for me. Only then will I probably write something worth buying anyway!

What do you do for you?