What I Learned in 2010

What a year it's been. I've had huge successes and I've failed some. I've kicked some butt and I've fallen off the wagon. I've faced a lot of fears and let a few win. I've lost some weight and I've gained some weight. But this year overall I have  learned more about myself and made bigger strides in being a healthier (mind and body) me than the previous 33!


So here it is, as concisely as I can manage, what I learned in 2010:


  • I'm a food addict, an emotional eater, a compulsive eater, and a binge eater. Quite the combination. I've learned oodles about how to deal with these issues, but I've also learned not to give SHAME about these things power over my life.
  • To like myself, to love myself, and how important taking care of myself is.
  • I'll never be perfect and that's OK.
  • There are tons of good, supportive, positive people out there and it's vitally important that I surround myself with them.
  • To reach out, to ask for help, and that it's OK to be vulnerable.
  • To try new things, read new information, but not be afraid to go against the current in knowing myself and what works for me. It's all about finding what works for me, not what the cool kids are doing.
  • I love weights and even lifting heavy.
  • I feel better with more protein and less carbs.
  • I will always be a runner no matter how fast, how far, or how often I run.
  • To forgive myself and that forgiveness of others is a gift--not something to be earned. I've also learned how important to me and my well-being forgiveness of others is.
  • It's OK for me to be great. I'm not over-shadowing or taking away from anyone else by becoming the best me. In fact, I owe it to me and the whole world to BE the best me I can be.
  • How important it is to pay attention and to trust myself.
  • I'm a fitness/running gear addict...and I'm OK with that.
  • The importance of: written goals, positive thinking, visualization, affirmations, commitment, focus, ditching excuses, consistency, balance, building good habits....

You get the idea...it's been an amazing year...yet somehow, deep down, I know that 2011 is going to be even BETTER!

I'll be sharing about some of these lessons in my upcoming posts. How about you? What did you learn in 2010?