I think a lot of times we tend to focus on the negatives of healthy living. We look at the things we have to take away, we look at the hard work that needs done, we look at the daunting amount of weight we have to lose. We look at the can'ts instead of the cans.
This negative focus only fosters feelings of deprivation and resentment.
For me, it helps to focus on the positive. I try to look at the things I'm adding in instead of what I'm taking out. I try to focus on the cans instead of the can'ts. Just a little shift in focus can change everything. It can take me from feeling deprived and resentful of my healthy living goals to enjoying the journey.
Instead of thinking of what you can't have or do, how about asking yourself:
- What are 3 new healthy foods you want to try?
- What are 3 reasons you want to improve your body/health?
- What 3 new activities do you want to try this year?
- What are 3 positive things you notice about yourself when you are making healthy choices?
- What 3 fitness related goals do you want to take on?
- What are 3 things you will do when you've reached your healthy living goals?
- What 3 words do you want people to use to describe you?
So...what are your 3?