I'm a Planner and I'm OK

When you fail to plan, you plan to fail. We've all heard this, maybe heard it until we're sick of hearing it. Lately though, this has held new meaning for me.

I'm a planner. It's just my natural bent. I've talked about planning ahead before and how it helps me in this journey. 


But for some reason I find myself fighting it. Feeling like I 'should' be more spontaneous, or I 'should' eat mindfully, instead of planned meals. Should, should, should, maybe that should be a dirty word in this journey.


Sometimes I think being a blogger can be like a whole new version of peer pressure. I feel like I 'should' be doing what this person is doing, or what that person instead of doing what I should be doing. It's easy to get caught up.


And completely ridiculous.

For the last week and a half or so I have tried something new: I planned. I released my inner planner full force and let her go hog wild. I planned my meals ahead for the week. I sat down with my Sparkpeople app on my Blackberry and planned every meal, every snack. I bagged up 1 ounce portions of walnuts, I boiled eggs, I filled my water bottles ahead, and I set out my workout clothes the night before. I planned my workouts. I went on Bodybuilding.com and found a new workout plan (for me AND hubby, post on that later) and wrote it out on a calendar. I planned 'til my little heart was content.

And...it worked for me. There was comfort in the plan. It was nice to have planned ahead and just make the meal, or grab the snack, or get up and do the workout. No decisions, no debating on this or that, I just did. Things felt easier.

Now, I haven't been freakishly tied to my plan or anything. When I didn't feel like a certain meal, I swapped it out, but for the most part I stuck to the plan because it made everything easier for me.

There are times we need to step out of our comfort zone, times for trying new things, times for shaking up the status quo. But I also think there are times when it is helpful to simply embrace our natural bent.

So, that is what I'm doing, I am embracing my natural bent. I'm a planner. It helps me. 


How about you...are you a planner...or does all of this sound like torture to you?