Run Motivation #9kOrBust


I had a beautiful baby girl last June. It has been my goal since late summer to get back to 5k shape post-baby. When I ran my marathon I promised myself I'd always be in good enough shape to run a 5k any time I wanted to. Lately I feel like I broke that promise to myself.

Being back to 5k shape was one of the goals that was most important to me, but somehow not one I've worked much towards. I've struggled with making myself and my runs a priority in my family dynamic. I've struggled making time for runs. I've struggled prioritizing runs in my workout schedule. And, honestly, I've struggled believing in myself and my running in this post-baby #4 body.

But I miss it! I find myself craving it. 

Running is not simply exercise or a way to burn calories to me (though that's how it started out years ago). Running is my time to clear all the cobwebs out of my brain. Running is my stress relief. Running is where I plug into my creative side; I get my best ideas out on runs. It's my time to get out in the sunshine and just be me in my body. There's a mind/body/spirit process going on out on my runs that I need at a level I'm not sure I can put into words. But here's what I know for sure: I'm a better wife, a better mom, and a better me when I make my running a priority.

Light bulb! I need to motivate myself and make the time.

Two things:

  1. I need a race on the calendar to light a fire in me. Just having the vague goal was NOT enough to get me moving and consistently working towards it.
  2. A 5k isn't enough of a stretch. I think that in the back of my mind 3 miles just isn't a big enough goal; I know that I could struggle through it even now and so it doesn't really motivate me to get out and do the work. I need something that is going to stretch me.

Baby O. will turn 1 in June and I WILL run a race before then. It's been fine to be gentle with myself and not rush the postpartum journey back to my pre-baby weight and fitness. But a YEAR is plenty generous. It's also been fine to adjust my priorities for this time with an infant. However, again, enough. I need this. Line drawn in sand, time to step up...


SO last week I registered for the Title Nine T9K in May!



I was terrified and elated all at the same time, but there's just nothing like paying for a race (and announcing it to the world) to get me out the door. Oh, and new kicks, those never hurt.



For those curious, my 9k training plan will look like this:



Monday/Thursday is my Ultimate Booty workout. Which handily ends in treadmill intervals. Tuesday will be an upper body weights workout, and Saturdays will strictly be runs. As my goal is simply to finish (and run the whole thing) and not for time I'm mostly focused on getting to running 6 miles comfortably. Since I'm currently blogging through Ultimate Booty Workouts (and those workouts are lifting heavy/quite intense) I've given myself 3 full days rest. Over-training is often my pitfall and I'm just not going there.

I've mapped out my 9k training plan, dug out my running gear, enlisted my husband's support, and I will. Do. This. Thing. 

If you're interested, you can follow my efforts (and maybe cheer me on?) on twitter and instagram. I'll be using the #9kOrBust hashtag.


How do you motivate yourself when your run mojo is MIA?