Weight Loss Vlog 2 aka The Truth About Paleo and Weight Loss


I think there are a lot of misconceptions out there about Paleo and weight loss. I'd like to attempt to clear some of those up. First, in my humble opinion: No, Paleo is not the magic pill for weight loss. My thoughts and experiences with losing weight on the Paleo diet:


It seems like there are those out there that imply that you can eat unlimited amounts of Paleo foods and still lose weight. If you really think about that, it doesn't make sense. Overeating is overeating no matter the foods. Now, many will regulate their appetite and get back in touch with their hunger and fullness cues easily on Paleo. But there are those that will not and will continue to consume too much food (healthy food though it may be).

There are also those that seem to imply that Paleo is the answer for everyone looking to lose weight. From personal experience, I believe that just isn't the case. It's not a one-size-fits-all thing. I do agree that 30 days of strict Paleo is a great place to start. Just be aware that if you don't see the results you're looking for after those 30 days you may need to adjust your approach as I have.

Also, and yes I'm guilty of this too, enough with the Paleo treat recipes. Yes, it's amazing to be able to have bread, or brownies, or cookies, or whatever food, that is paleo-fied. It can keep many of us on track when we crave those foods. They're a nice thing to make around the holidays insead of diving into junk food. I'm sure that those that are at a healthy weight, don't have metabolism issues, and do crossfit like crazy can eat them with abandon. But many have gotten the impression that these recipes can be a part of a Paleo weight loss plan. Not so, these recipes are very much so just treats. For me these paleo-fied recipes are my 'cheats'. They're not an every day food. If you are trying to lose weight on Paleo (or have blood sugar issues) be very careful with these recipes. Some can do them occassionally, while others will find they stop weight loss efforts in their tracks.

Yes, I'm a huge supporter of Paleo and believe it's absolutely the right way of eating for me. I also firmly believe Paleo is amazing for overall health and well-being. However, if you are thinking about Paleo strictly for weight loss reasons just realize that it is not the magic pill (though, as I've said, many are quite successful). Also, if you're struggling losing weight on Paleo consider the two alterations I mentioned in the video.

I hope that's helpful!

Books recommended in the video:
Keto Clarity
Good Calories Bad Calories
Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It
The Paleo Solution