New Year New You Favorites: Must-Haves For Every Budget


I frimly believe that NO MATTER your budget it is possible to reach your health, fitness, and weight loss goals. There is a wealth of information and services available online for free. Most everyone can go for a walk or do some body weight exercise, drink more water, and track their food. However, I also believe that well-chosen gear can be a great investment!

Whatever your budget I've compiled a list of the best gear to help you reach your goals this year!

Everything on this list I have used personally and LOVE.

DATA
I believe that data is your most valuable weapon in any fitness or weight loss journey. Knowing what is in the foods you eat, tracking your food, knowing how many calories a workout burns, tracking your water... All of this data on your daily choices is where success lives. 

Tracking Apps (FREE)
All of these will help you track your daily food, fitness, and water. They are available on your smart phone or online.

Screenshot from my app.

  • My Fitness Pal-This is the app I'm currently using. I manually change the suggested calories, protein, fats, and carbs it suggests to suit my plan.
  • Lose It-I've used this app previously and loved it.
  • SparkpeopleAlso a great source for community/support, information, and accountability.
Fitness Trackers
Fitness wearables (also called activity trackers) are amazing for telling you where your activity level is now and helping you improve over time. There are a bazillion out there. Most have apps that work with them to help you track and analyze your stats.


I love how it tells me to Move! when I've been sitting too long.
  • Garmin Forerunner 15-This is what I'm currently using for my fitness tracker. It tracks daily steps and calories. It is also a GPS running watch and I have the optional chest strap to utilize the heart rate monitor as well. It's a great all-in-one option.
INFORMATION
Information goes hand-in-hand with data. Information is power and getting good information is priceless. 

Books I recommend:


MOTIVATION
Never underestimate the power of a cute new workout outfit. Fitness fashion motivates me. I used to just try to get along with whatever I could scrounge up, but I cannot stress enough how WORTH it cute, functional fitness clothes are. If you're on a budget I've tried tons of stuff from Walmart and Target (C9 from Champion is amazing) that I've just LOVED.

My current fitness fashion favorites:

  • I love all things Nike for pretty much any activity.

Just Do It




BASIC NECESSITIES

A good sports bra:



Good shoes
Whatever fitness activity you decide to take up good shoes are a must. I like a more minimal shoe no matter the activity and love the Nike Free line for pretty much everything I do. 



Everyone is different however. Go to a good running or sporting goods store if you can to get fitted the first time.

Food prep supplies:
Whether you travel a lot, work outside the home, or stay at home, food prep supplies can be hugely helpful. From portion control to preparing meals in advance they can help set you up for success!



WORKOUTS
Like I said above, most anyone can go for a walk or do some body weight exercise. However, if you need inspiration there are also TONS of free workout options out there. From websites to apps there is every workout imaginable available for free. 

My Free Workout Favorites:

Phew! I know that's a long list, but there's so much great fit gear out there I haven't even brushed the surface. Next week I'll have a list of my favorite workout DVD's of all time.


What is your most used fit gear? What health & fitness apps do you use most?