A Journey Back to Running

The only part I loved about living in a city.
So many great places to run in Idaho Falls!
Oh, where to start... at the beginning I suppose.

I remember loving to run when I was a child. Running for the sheer joy of it. Running fast, running hard. Giggling, lungs burning, legs and arms flying. Just running to run.

Along came high school. I was on the track team, but I did shot and disc. I didn't think I was the "runner type". Oh high school, the nonsense you teach us.

Fast forward many years of not running to 30. 30 scared the crap out of me. I wasn't where I wanted to be in life. At. All. I started running because I wanted to lose weight. Running burned calories, period.

But then, a funny thing happened: running taught me things about myself. Slowly, steadily, running became more to me than calories burned. Running was my me time, my therapy, my time to burn off all the nonsense. 

I signed up and ran my first 5k. My only goal was to run the entire thing. I did it! As I crossed that finish line I learned something about myself that I'd never known before. I vividly remember having this epiphany: I CAN! 

Running taught me that I could do things, I was capable, I was well able. Who knew? Sadly, not me my whole life.

From that point I was unstoppable in testing out this new found I CAN.

In my running I went straight from a couple of 5k's to signing up for a marathon. Seriously, don't try this at home. It was kind of a fiasco. I had no clue what I was doing, overtrained, ran on an injury, and had a terrible time. BUT I did it. I finished. It did a world of good for me. It changed me. In all areas of my life.

I was hooked. I loved running. I loved who I'd become in no small part due to running.

From there I nursed my hurt hip, got back to running 5ks, and was aiming at a sub-30 minute 5k, but...then I got pregnant with baby #4.

No worries, I kept running through the pregnancy. My last pregnant run was 36 weeks. I was showing signs of pre-term labor and didn't run after that point. Then, the 6 week postpartum rest period...

I haven't gotten my groove back since. Lots of starts and stops. Started training for a 9k, but life got in the way of running it. Started training for a turkey trot, and again I let life get in the way of training. Lots of excuses. Not much progress.

Gorgeous path along the river where I was turkey trot training.
The end of 2015 I drew a line in the sand and decided enough was enough. I was not only missing running, but who I am when I'm running consistently. I miss that I CAN spirit. Somehow since Baby O I've wandered off and lost myself a bit. I think many moms can understand this. It's easy to get lost in taking care of everyone else. In life's busyness. It shows up most glaringly in my weight struggles, but it's deeper than that. Weight is just the outward evidence.

But, like I said, enough is enough.

2016 is my year to not only find my way back to running, but my way back to me. 

I need this. More than I could ever put words to.

My husband is on board to support me however I need and with little kids and our crazy busy life that's a necessity (especially here in Idaho where I have no other family support). And most importantly I'm on board to make my running a priority again.

I'll be sharing my journey back to running here on FitViews (and of course my IG and Twitter). 

#seenonmyrun
Wish me luck! Wait, no, wish me consistent running. ;) ...and possibly for me to find my Garmin charger. Running sans Garmin is totally driving me crazy! Moving problems.