Monday Miles--Half Marathon Training Plan

I've had a few questions about my training plan for the upcoming half marathon. I think finding a training plan made by a professional is a good choice. They really do know what they're doing. At the same time I think we should listen to our bodies and tweak them when necessary.


I am doing a modified version of Hal Higdon's Intermediate Half Marathon Training Plan. I chose the intermediate plan because I've done a full and lots of 5ks and really want to concentrate on my speed. I modified it because I know my body better now and know I tend to over-train. My body seems to respond well to 3 or 4 running days a week and 2 or 3 days of strength training.


My plan looks like this:



Week
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
1
Strength
Abs
Walk
3 m run
Strength
20-30
min bike
5 x 400 
5-K pace
Abs
Walk
Strength
5 m run
2
Strength
Abs
Walk
3 m run
30 min tempo
Abs
strength
20-30 min
bike
Walk
Strength
6 m run
3
Strength
Abs
Walk
3 m run
6 x 400 5-K pace
strength
Abs
Walk
5-K Race
Rest
or
Yoga
4
Strength
Walk
3.5 m run
35 min tempo
Abs
strength
Walk
3 m run
or
Burn Intervals
7 m run
5
Strength
Walk
3.5 m run
7 x 400 5-K pace
Abs
strength
20-30
min bike
Walk
3 m pace
or
Rest
8 m run
6
Strength
Walk
4 m run
40 min tempo
strength
Abs
Walk
Rest
10-K Race
7
Strength
Walk
Abs
4 m run
8 x 400
Abs 
strength
20-30
min bike
Walk
4 m pace
or
Rest
9 m run
8
Strength
Walk or
Bike
4.5 m run
40 min tempo
strength
Abs
Rest
or
Walk
5 m pace
or
Rest
10 m run
9
Strength
Walk or
Bike
4.5 m run
9 x 400 5-K pace
strength
Abs
Rest or walk
Rest
15-K Race
10
Burn
Intervals
5 m run
45 min tempo
Abs
Burn it Off
Rest or
Walk
5 m pace
or rest
11 m run
11
Burn
Intervals
5 m run
10 x 400 5-K pace
Abs
Burn it Off
Rest or
Walk
3 m pace
or rest
12 m run
12
Burn
Intervals
4 m run
30 min tempo
Rest
Rest
Rest
Half Marathon




I took the Wednesday run out right away, a run on top of strength training is a lot for me, plus it was too many days a week running for me. I substituted a bike. I also upped the Tuesday runs slower than the original plan.


I start out with strength 3 days a week simply because I'm finishing up my ChaLEAN extreme and wanted to keep all those strength workouts, then I go to 2 days a week for strength. That strength will be various ChaLEAN workouts.


The 10k and 15k races will be only if I find races those days, if not I'll do a mock race of that distance.


I have 'walk' listed twice a week because I walk with a friend and just threw those in on top of the plan. I don't want to cut those out so I won't always get a total rest day. The walks are very easy and light so I'm hoping this will be good.


I am unsure about the Saturday runs and made them optional. I have always in the past taken the day before a long run off. If I feel over-trained I will simply skip them.


Burn it Off and Burn Intervals are ChaLEAN workouts I'm adding in at the end. They are more muscle endurance than heavy lifting. I just thought my strength should be light leading up to race time.


I wish I could work in more yoga; I may if I cut out Saturday runs just add in yoga there.


So, there you have it. My plan. It isn't in stone, I will adjust and listen to my body along the way. No injuries this time!


When you race do you follow a training plan or just wing it?



I am just a blogger, not a doctor or any sort of professional. What you read here are my personal experiences and opinions. Of course, always consult your doctor before trying a diet or new workout program.