Monday, September 3, 2012

Paleo Recipe - Chicken Sausage & Kale Stew

Chicken Sausage and Kale Stew
2 packages chicken sausage - I've used all kinds for this recipe: breakfast sausage, Italian turkey sausage, and this time I used a spicy chicken sausage I found on sale. Whatever you prefer, as always read your labels.
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1 can stewed tomatoes
1/2 a bunch of kale, torn into small pieces (I usually remove the stems)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
4 cups low sodium chicken broth

Add coconut oil to skillet heated over medium heat and cook chicken sausage until done. 
Transfer to a stew pot and add chicken broth and all ingredients except the stewed tomatoes. Cook until kale etc is soft.
I always want to make my own, but haven't had time. 
Add the stewed tomatoes at the end and cook just until heated.
Read your labels. A lot of stewed tomatoes have HFCS.
This makes plenty for my family of 5 with leftovers. I find that making leftovers on purpose is really helpful when eating paleo. Lunch the next day (or even breakfast) is done!