|THIS keeps me motivated to keep at it.|
To reach my sub 30 minute goal I need to shave roughly 3 minutes off of my 5k time. Now that may sound like a lot to more advanced runners, but I'm still very much in the improving stages of running. While I have ran for about 5 years now, injury (my hip) has periodically taken me out and consistency has been my struggle. The last time I set out to best my 5k time I shaved off 6 minutes!
My game plan to kill this sub 30 minute 5k this year (thanks to all of my fitfluential running friends for their advice!):
- LOTS of speed work. LOTS. I'll be doing some on the treadmill, some on the track, and a little on dirt paths. I've been given lots of speed workout ideas and I'm going to take them...and run ;)
- Core work. I always slack on this. Well, not this year! I'm going to include core work with every weights workout I do.
- Slowly up my miles a bit. Since I'm still coming back from my hip acting up last fall I'll be upping my mileage a bit, but not going crazy. Likely I will only run 3 days a week. I tend towards over-training and I'll err on the side of caution here.
- Cross training! This will mostly be in the form of weights, core work, and other forms of cardio. Tons of cross training will be happening up in here.
- Hill Workouts. I know the perfect hill for this. I'll shoot for a couple times a month.
- Lose a little more weight. I am still sort of heavy for a runner, hanging out around 175 pounds still. A lighter me will mean a faster me.
That's my plan...now I'm off to get busy doing this thing!