Monday, September 17, 2012

Paleo Recipe - Italian Style Meatloaf

I love meatloaf. So does my husband. I think the kids mostly just tolerate it, but it winds up on the menu about every other week around here. Especially in the fall and winter. 

I try to change my recipe up often so it doesn't get boring. This is my latest re-invention of the meatloaf.


Italian-Style Meatloaf
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1 - 8 oz package mushrooms
1/2 bunch Italian parsley
2 eggs
1/2 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon sea salt 
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon basil

Preheat oven to 350.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to small skillet and heat to medium. Add onions and saute. When onions begin to become translucent add garlic. Saute a few minutes longer, until garlic is soft. Put mixture into mixing bowl to cool.


Add other tablespoon of olive oil to same skillet and cook mushrooms 7 to 9 minutes until soft (I usually break them up into smaller pieces). 


Add to mixing bowl to cool a bit (a minute or so).
Stir together remaining ingredients and form into a loaf in the middle of a cake pan. 


Bake for about an hour (until meat thermometer reads 160). Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes or so to re-distribute juices. This feeds my family of 5, with a bit leftover.


How about you, are you in the love meatloaf, tolerate meatloaf, or hate meatloaf camp?