Paleo FAQs

I've had a lot of questions lately about paleo. Via twitter, facebook, email... I'm surprised and flattered that people think of me to ask. I guess with the time of year and the growing popularity of paleo, a lot of people are interested. I thought I'd do a post and try to answer some of them in one shot. I'm no expert, and there's far more qualified people, but you've asked so I'm offering my thoughts.



What the heck is paleo?
Basically paleo is no grains (yep none), no sugar (OK, I occasionally do stevia and honey in splurge recipes), no artificial sweeteners, no soy, no trans-fats, and no legumes (and for some no dairy). I would call it a whole foods, anti processed foods diet. Feel free to add in the comments if I've missed something.


What DO you eat on paleo?
Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, fish, some nuts, seeds, eggs, and fats like coconut oil and olive oil. I try for the highest quality possible: organic, wild caught, local etc. But if budget restricts I just do the best I can. I am lucky enough to have my own chickens for eggs and our own grass fed beef. Some folks take it to the extreme and only eat in season, local, wild etc. I do the best I can. Now many paleo folks don't do any dairy, but I eat grass-fed organic butter and cream as well as occasionally whey protein. I also do some 85-90% dark chocolate and red wine, medicinally of course. If you want more detail you can check out my you tube channel. I have lots of daily vlogs showing my meals.

What paleo books do you recommend?
If you're into ebooks, this.

If you prefer an actual hold in your hand book (like me) this.
As far as cookbooks I like:


and

Is there a specific workout philosophy with paleo?
This varies by who you ask I think. I stick to what I like. If you read Robb Wolf's or Sarah Fragoso's books they'll make suggestions.

Are you into crossfit?
No, never tried it. No reason really, just haven't.

Why did you go paleo?
This answer could take volumes! Mostly it is best for my husband who has narcolepsy. Also, I had read a ton of books and just decided to try it. After 30 days I felt fanfriggintastic and knew it was the best choice for me.

Don't you feel deprived eating paleo?
Not. At. All. As I've said before I feel great. My urge to binge eat has vanished. I have more energy. I honestly feel better than I have in my life. A bagel is NOT worth giving that up.

What is the difference between paleo and primal?
I get this one a lot! My take on it is that primal is: higher fat, more lax on dairy, and has a slightly different (and more defined) fitness philosophy. PLEASE comment below if I've forgotten something. I really get this question a ton since I've tried both.

How do you have the energy to workout eating low carb? OR Aren't you not getting enough carbs?
While I do eat lower carb, paleo does not have to be low carb. Fruits are carbs. Vegetables are carbs. Nuts and seeds have carbs. Sweet potatoes are a great source of carbs! You get my point. Paleo does not neccessarily=low carb. Some days I have more carbs than others. I never struggle with having enough energy to workout.

Is paleo gluten free?
Yes.

Is coffee OK on paleo?
Well, to be honest I have no idea. But coffee is one thing I'm not willing to give up.

Those are my thoughts. I will never be the one to get on my soap box and preach to you about doing things my way. If you want to try paleo, great. If you don't, great. Do what works for you. But I've had questions and just wanted to answer them.

Any other questions I missed?


Here's a post I did with videos on paleo and primal if you want more (from those more qualified).